Monday, January 28, 2013

my best boy...

joaquin gets good n muddy out on winter pasture


all of our horses are bell trained. i ring the bell, they come. it's a way to be able to check on them when they're far out and i want or need to see them. with echo and smoke close to the house in their habitat and joaquin and helaku in the pastures with the cows, when i ring the bell they all get to gather, see each other, and get their daily oats and scritches. the other nite when the moon was full i went out later than usual and joaquin and helaku didn't come in. now mind you i not only ring the bell but if i don't see them coming i call them. my call echoes across the 120 (acres) and is loud. WAAAAAAAAAkeen! hayLAAAAAAAAku! still, they didn't come. so i walked way out and found them. joaquin came first and i asked him "hey bud what's up? why didn't you come when i called ya? let's go get some oats". on the walk back he stayed right with me. i have a really hard time walking on ground that's not even and he knows it. so when i have to he walks right by my side and let's me put my arm over his back for support. this time he was behind my right shoulder on the cow path and every few steps he would nuzzle my ponytail or my ear. he loves to do this and it tickles so we always have a fun time when he gets silly this way. he was really into it and seemed to be making up for the fact that i had to come fetch him. helaku was behind him and nickering the whole way. i love joaquins wild heart. he won't let me catch him very often unless he's in a small space and runs as fast as he can out there sometimes just for the joy of running. no matter how much time passes or how aloof he is at times, he will still lend me his heart and soul and comfort my tattered heart with his soft breath and velvety muzzle. he's my best boy....  

No comments:

Post a Comment